Saturday, September 22, 2007

Speeding Statistics

Please, click to enlarge & see this information!


While I was trying to get signatures for my stop sign petition, I had several conversations with people about the speed on High Bluff Drive. Most everyone is seriously concerned with how fast cars drive at all hours of the day. Most people are afraid to allow their children to play in the front yard for this very reason. I know, as parents, we try to do all that we can to teach our children to not run into the street...but it could happen. However, those of us who drive, need to do so in a responsible manner. I was given a flier on Speed Statistics from my friend, Sgt. Merritt. (He used to be a C.O.P. Officer & he worked with me several times on this issue.) When I first saw the statistics, it made me sick to my stomach. A child can be seriously injured or killed by someone simply driving 5 mph over the speed limit.

Last summer, Sgt. Merritt sat on Mt. Adams drive in an unmarked car in the early afternoon to monitor & record speed on High Bluff Drive, it wasn't even at it's heaviest time of traffic. He reminded me of the situation, he said:
"If you recall, when I sat there I clocked every vehicle driving both north and south on High Bluff. If they were traveling over 20 mph, I recorded the speed. I then went and averaged the speeds and came up with something in the area of 33 mph. That may not seem like such a high number, but in order to get it, there had to be some people traveling over 40 mph."
According to the statistics flier, if someone was traveling at 40 mph & a child ran out in the street 60 feet in front of the driver, the car would strike the child at a speed of 35 mph. That's a horrible scenario....

I'd like to pose a few questions to you that usually people don't think about that can attribute to such an accident. Are you talking on a cell phone while driving? Are you distracted with your children that you aren't really paying attention to your driving or speed? Are you in such a hurry that you think 5 mph over the speed limit won't really hurt? If you answered yes to any of these, I just ask you to please think about "what might happen".

I also liked what Sgt. Merritt said about the Speed Statistics, he said:
"A lot of people disbelieve the data at first. It's really quite alarming. However, physics don't lie. People may say that it's not everyone and it's only the occasional car doing it. This may be true, but accidents are caused by that "occasional car" every day. It doesn't take much for some unsuspecting child to run into the street after their ball and they end up either dead or seriously injured. "

I'd like to end this post with a plea...Please, slow down. Please, pay attention to your speed. Please, keep your eyes out for that unsuspecting child that is running after a ball & runs into the street. Please, do all that you can to make sure you are not driving above 25 mph in a residential neighborhood.

I'd like to hear your opinions or comments on this subject.

1 comment:

rjuice1515 said...

what # is speeding as a cause of death in the united states?

how often does a person die in the united states as a a result of speeding?

if driving with others, how much more likely is it to get in an accident?

how much more likely are you to be in an accident if you are speeding?