Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Valley Emergency Communications Center

VECC...the dispatch center for most of the valley's law enforcement & medical agencies! I had the priviledge of going there to see the "behind the scene's" of a 911 call, and the dispatchers who work with the police officers. What an amazing facility!! In fact, I went on Friday, September 28th...but needed a few days to absorb it all & to sort it out in my mind. I sat with a lady who has been a dispatcher for over 20 years. She showed me the many things that go into a simple 911 call & how they relay that information to the police. I also sat with the people who take the phone calls from the public...I had the opportunity to listen in on some 911 calls. Ok, 911 is for emergencies...not to ask for the time, or directions! Oh my goodness...it's like people don't realize that 911 is for emergencies!

There were some really intense calls that made my adrenaline soar....& some that made me sick to my stomach. One call had me in tears ( I thought I was doing good at hiding it) but the call taker said...that they have to distance their feelings, or it would be just too tough to do their job. I was amazed at how calm the dispatchers were, & thank goodness so that they can relay the important information.

I learned a few things that night... I think first & foremost is that there is a need to educate on how to make a 911 call. Usually emotions are running high if a 911 call needs to be placed. But, from talking with the dispatchers, it's so very important to give the essential facts first. Don't give a long-winded story...that just takes up important time. They need the absolute facts first...but even if emotions are high, they will guide you through to get the information. I also learned that it is so important for the public to work together with law enforcement...

I learned that I need to give my children extra hugs, extra kisses, check & make sure the doors & windows are locked & do all that I can to make sure my home is a safe place for my family!

I'm really grateful for the opportunity that I had to visit the VECC facility, it opened my eyes even more! I promise I will do all that I can to help this Neighborhood Watch successful in our neighborhood, but I do need your help & support. If you would like to help the neighborhood watch, please email me at summitneighborhoodwatch@yahoo.com .

No comments: