Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Neighbors Helping Neighbors



I was so sad to get a phone call from a resident, also my friend, to hear about some vandalism to their property. It is devastating to wake up to this on your fence. It just makes me sick to know that someone did this, in probably 30 seconds or less...on such a busy street. This fence faces Laurel Canyon Dr. If you are on your way to work, school, errands...please keep your eyes open for any suspicious behavior. When I dropped by to document this by taking pictures, I was impressed to see neighbors helping neighbors. One resident, Matt B. brought over some stuff called Automotive Paint Reducer, it wiped it clean... Good to know in case it happens again.
I urge, beg, plead for your assistance in keeping your eyes open. There is TOO MUCH vandalism in our neighborhoods, especially graffiti. I just want to get a handle on it.
If you have a porch light - turn it on!
If you have side lights - turn them on!
If you have a backyard light - turn it on!
If your lights on the sides of your garage are burned out - replace
them!

Having regular lights or motion detector lights have been proven to reduce crime. If I am awakened by my children in the night, I always take the opportunity to look out my windows to see if there is anything going on...anything suspicious. It only takes a second...to look out for each other. If all of us do this...it will make such a difference!
Click HERE for more information from the Salt Lake County Metro Gang Unit on graffiti.

2 comments:

TDAWG said...

End the end, lacquer thinner was what was used and worked a bit better than the automotive stuff.
You can get the lacquer thinner at lowes in a 5 gallon or 1 gallon bucket.
Your rags won't be worth much when you get done with this so use old ones that you can throw away.
Also, this thinner is ok to use on vinyl and you may want to wear a mask when using it.

Travis

Renee Layton - The Summit Neighborhood Watch Chair said...

Thank you Travis for clarifying that! And thank you for being a great neighbor & friend for helping this family out! :)