Thursday, July 19, 2012

Crimes Need to be Reported!

I just received an email from our Community Services police officer, Officer Buchanan regarding some thefts in our neighborhood.  I had received some concerns from residents about lack of police patrol & lots of thefts happening in our area.  Officer Buchanan took this information I passed on to him to the WVCPD's Intelligence Analyst. 

This is what they reported:
I looked into the information you sent me. I pulled theft and burglary crimes in Diamond Summit for the past 3 months (since May 1st) and here's what I've found.

There have been two bicycle thefts in the last 3 months:
5/7 - bike stolen from the yard on Wakefield Way
7/6 - 3 bikes stolen from a garage left open overnight on Laurel Canyon

There have been six reported vehicle burglaries in Diamond Summit in the last 3 months (both forced and unforced MO's...purses & wallets targeted.)

I also ran the same crimes for Kearns and West Jordan surrounding Diamond Summit. There have been 3 garage burglaries in the last 3 months:

5/16 - bicycle stolen from garage left open from noon to 2pm on Ridge Hollow Way
5/31 - tools & battery charger stolen from garage (garage man door was entered) on Sunbury Place
6/1 - unknown items stolen from garage left open from 10am to noon

So, if what people have been telling me is true, then there is a huge LACK of calling the police when a crime has been committed.  The #1 thing we, as residents, can do is to accurately report crimes when they occur!  The police need to know what is going on in our area.  I encourage you to call the police when a crime - any crime - has been committed.  They need accurate statistics to pinpoint patterns/trends in our immediate neighborhood & surrounding areas!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit, i never thought anything of reporting the theft in my back yard. It seemed pretty minor that they just stole a tent. But, now i see the importance of keeping a paper trail to help pinpoint trends that can help officers.

Renee Layton - The Summit Neighborhood Watch Chair said...

Kehaunani Tai...Thank you for your insight! It is SO important that we give the police accurate information so they can better serve our needs as a community!!