Wednesday, January 23, 2013

School Lockdown...Update.

A resident on Laurel Canyon (by the Wakefield intersection) emailed me this: My neighbor a few houses down from me just called me and told me their house was broken into. It happened at 12:30. A guy was walking around knocking on doors and he knocked on their door, but she didn't answer or let on that anyone was home. He started pounding on the door and then left. About 2 minutes later he kicked in their basement door. The dog went after him and he escaped. He was wearing a black hoodie and black pants.

I spoke with Officer Buchanan & he verified this.  He also said that police set up a perrimeter & used K9's to seek out the suspect.   They were unable to locate the individual.

It's a good reminder to keep your eye out around your home & your neighbors!  If you see something out of place, please call the police! 

-A good tip from Lt. Merritt (from the post below)
We have a non-emergency phone number that may be used in lieu of 911 that is open to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When should you call it instead of 911? When you need to report a crime that is no longer in progress and doesn't require an immediate response. For instance, you notice someone sprayed graffiti on a nearby wall. Call the non-emergency phone number. But, let's say you come home and find your neighbor's garage door open with a suspicious vehicle backed up in the driveway. Your neighbors are on vacation and no one should be in their home. Call 911. Call 911 even if the suspects leave seconds after you discover them.

If you are ever in doubt, do not be afraid to call 911. No one has ever been reprimanded for calling 911 instead of the non-emergency number....that is, except for the person who calls 911 to report the light burned out in their refrigerator. And yes, we did get that phone call once. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is this kid named Kasey or Casey, that knocks the neighbood hood doors for money, he seems he is in drugs. I just think we should be careful...its getting scary. My husband helped him giving a little job doing our lawn, we helped him a couple of times, with rides, or 5 bucks... but he kept coming for money with this weird excuses, he seemed dirty and in drugs... he We got suspicious, ..I told my husband, don't want him near my house...anyone knows anything else about these kid? I feel so sorry for him :( but I am afraid of him.

Renee Layton - The Summit Neighborhood Watch Chair said...

*From our NW Facebook page - from December 13th - I was hesitant to utilize this info in a formal "post" on the blog.

I have had several residents in our neighborhood contact me about an individual. This individual lives on High Bluff. He has gone door to door asking for money (for a starter, a battery, a carburator, a drug test, a bus ticket, etc.) or has asked to do yard work to earn money. It usually occurs during the day. Residents have also seen this individual look in garages & car windows. After a few calls one day last week, I called our Neighborhood WVC Police Officer, Officer Jesse Buchanan. I spoke with him concerning some of the details. This individual made the rounds in the later part of the summer, as well. As I was talking to him, a call came across his radio of a man going door to door asking for money & fit the physical description. Officer Buchanan responded to the call & called me when it was finished. The individual was arrested for posesssion of drugs. Officer Buchanan asked me to relay a message to the residents in our neighborhood. He said to ask residents to please **NOT** give this individual any money. Whatever story he is giving is not the truth, he admitted that he then takes the money to obtain drugs. Officer Buchana also asked that if he comes to your door or approaches you about money or doing odd jobs, to please contact me (summitneighborhoodwatch@yahoo.com) or to him directly at 801-955-4112. He wants to track what is going on. Also, Officer Buchanan stressed the importance of reporting crimes. If you see ANY individual casing homes (looking in windows of homes or cars) to please call the police at 801-840-4000. He also stressed the importance of reporting crimes. He stated that those looking for money for drugs will often steal small items to pawn (ie. bikes, power tools, cd's) things that they can obtain easily. Please, if you have had items taken from your front yard, garage or car - please report it! If you have any questions, please email me!

As far as I know, this individual is currently in jail. However, he residence is in our neighborhood.

Renee Layton - The Summit Neighborhood Watch Chair said...

Also, if you wish to send me your email address, I would be happy to add you to my NW email list. Email at summitneighborhoodwatch@yahoo.com